HISTORY OF HAMILTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
The first library for Hamilton was located in the old school house on 3rd and Elm Street and was managed by Dr. W. H. Githens. The Franklin Library Association used a building in Oakwood for their purposes in 1856. From 1871-1877, the Hawthorne Literary Club met in Oakwood. The Librarian was Thomas Potts.
The Hamilton Public Library was founded in 1902 by the Current Events Club and supported by that and other organizations, along with public-spirited citizens until 1916. At that time it became tax-supported.
The first library contained 30 books. The City began a contribution of funds for the library in 1916. Several store buildings were used to house the library over the years, and in 1921, the Current Events Club came to the rescue again and began a drive for a library building. A total of $10,000 was raised, and the library was built on the corner of 9th and Broadway. Librarian Lizzie Lane served from 1902 to 1924, and Jeanette Cress served in this capacity from 1924 to 1952.
The new addition to the library was added on in the early 1970's.(Kammerer, History of Hamilton, IL, 1984, p. 70)
The Hamilton Public Library was established for the purpose of providing residents of the area with access to books and other resources for education, information and recreation. These objectives have been followed and improved upon during the years of growth we have experienced. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to be constantly aware of the current needs of the community and to review and revise the objectives to meet these needs. In this way we will be able to maintain the quality of library services Hamilton has always been proud to offer.